TOYBIZ THOR/CONAN
 
UPDATED 06/21/14
 

Thanks to Kitman for the box pic




Here it. Finally done!
I started this kit in 2001 and finally finished it in time for Wonderfest 05.
If you can't tell, this is a heavily customized version of the Toy Biz Thor kit. I made several modifications and turned it into Conan the Barbarian.
For more about the modifications, you can check this page. To find out more about the building and painting of the base, check here. And to learn how I made the sword, that is on this page.
On this, the main page, I am going to talk more about the painting and finishing touches.

One of the things that held me back, and kept me from finishing this kit for so long, was my fear of fleshtones.
I still didn't do very good on them, but now I have a little more experience under my belt and should do better on my next attempt.

I started with a rusty/brown primer coat (the same color as the loincloth)
Then I basecoated with a flesh recipe taken from the Dave Fisher Model Mania series.
Raw siena, burnt siena and white. And there it sat for a couple of years.
This year, I wanted to push to get it done, so I jumped right in.
I started off by adding some watercolor veining to the kit.

After that, is where I think I screwed up.
Thought I would use a little shortcut that has worked well with monsters and dinos. Didn't turn out too well for this though.
I went and used some brown antiquing gel. I have used this before as an almost wash. It does highlight the details, but it also tones everything towards brown. Which when I first saw it, looked really cool on the kit. Gave it the sort of suntanned look I wanted. So of course, I sealed it.

As you can see in the pictures below, after it was sealed, it ended up having a more mottled look.


If I would have had more time, I might have stripped it at this point. But being under the gun, I pushed ahead and hoped the next steps covered my error.
Which they did, but also covered up all the nice veins I had put in as well.
I ended up doing about 3 coats of flesh colored watercolor.
Things turned out ok, but didn't quite have the 'pop' that I wanted it to.
If you noticed, in all the in-progress pictures, the head is not attached to the body.
There was a reason for that. It was much easier to paint that way. The way the head fit on the kit, it had a natural seam where the hair laid on the body. So I left the head separate. Painted the helmet and hair, then detailed the face. It wasn't as bad as I thought. The eyes weren't quite right on my first attempt. A little too round giving him more of a surprised look that I didn't want. So I used the tip of my knife to scrape a little away in a few places to get them just right.
The rest of the details were -
Blacks, and dark browns on the boots.
Drybrushed the loincloth with several different shades of brown, then washed with a very dark brown.
The belt was a brownish black
Blacks on the arm-bands.
I detailed the handle of the sword with a very fine tipped marker.
 

BACK