My Prehistoric Scenes
Built-up Models

Allosaurus - building phase
Go back to the FINISHED MODEL page.
If you want to see the
PAINTING STEPS then use that link.
This page is for the building portion of this kit, and shows my in progress photos..
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
I finally got the tail and head done to my satisfaction. So it was time to put them on the body. Normally the arms and legs would go on the body first, but since I am building this as not moveable they are being glued in and don't need to be put on yet. Good thing as I am still texturing them.
Tell you what. Trying to put those in was a big hastle. Both the head and the tail fit inside the body before it is assembled. Just snapping it together is no problem. But trying to glue it seamlessly is a pain. I glued the head and tail into one half first, then added the second half. Then I had to clamp the body together and find a way to compress the head and the tail to eliminate those gaps as well. Not easy. Took a lot of wood bar-clamps and a little creativity..
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up  
   
As you can see, it wasn't a complete success. But I think that was due more to the kit itself.
I did well on the head, and half the tail. But the other half of the tail not only has a big gap, but a pretty severe mismatch as well.
Hope to have pics of it puttied up and then textured soon.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
Well, I have the joints puttied. The blending wasn't too bad, though as you can see te neck ended up with a little too much putty. Will haee to grind it down a bit to blend it.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
Considering how far off the tail was my first layer of putty came out pretty good. Going to wait until I add some texture to decide if I might need to blend a little more. Either with more putty, or by grinding/sanding.
I also added in some more back ribs at the neck and tail joints. If you look up at the first pic of it glued together, you can see the noticable gaps in the ridges at those joints. Now it looks more natural, though I may have to beef them up a bit more.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up  
Here is what it looks like with the first go at adding the texture back in.
I really had to go over a lot of the model. The details were very soft near the joints.
One of the necissary evils of injection molded parts. You can't have deep details on the sidewalls, or the parts won't come out of the mold.
This was all done with a thin needle shaped bit.
Next I will go over it with something a little wider with more of a flare. Should match the existing details better that way.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up Ok, now that the seams are coming along, time to pay a little attention to some other areas that need some help.
Notice that smooth patch in the first picture.
That is how the model is along most of the back. That is what I meant when I mentioned earlier about not having deep detail on the sidewalls with injection molded kits.
I have been going over it, bringing out the faint details that the model had by etching them deeper and making it match the rest of the kit.
The top of the head also suffered greatly from this problem.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
I am really starting to question the chances of having this done in time for WF 2007.
But I am having too much fun with this, and am not going to rush it.
If it isn't done, it isn't done.
I've put too much work into it now to not go the extra distance and fully putty the arms and legs onto the body. Which will take even more time. Doubt I will even get to painting this kit before WF rolls around.
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
Well, since we are now into 2008, it is obvious this did not make it to WF07.
Finally got back to work on this. Still working the body, mainly the neck / head area.
As well as the foot-leg and hand-arm joints right now.
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
Well, I have gotten to the point of attaching the arms.
You can see the basic putty work involved here. First I fill the area and smooth and contour it the way I want.
Then after it has set up a little, I go back in and add the scale texture.
Still looks a little rough in these pictures. After it had set up even more I went over it gently with some safety solvent to smooth things a bit more to eliminate the sharp, rough edges.
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
Almost ready to start painting!
Legs are on. Putty work is done. Texture is complete, just needs one more going over with the dremel to match it better with the existing texture.
Then it will be time to start splashing a little color on this baby.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up Finally doing some work on this again.
After some time away, I see I still have some more seam work to do though.
I think the picture to the left shows the problem the best.
The new texture, while nice, doesn't quite match the existing texture. I need to do a little more work to smooth it out a little bit and not make it look quite so 'sharp'.