My Prehistoric Scenes
Built-up Models

Allosaurus - painting phase
Go BACK to the map page
Woo Hoo!
Finally slapping some paint on this sucker.
If you want to see the
BUILDING PHASE then use the link.
This page will now deal with the in-progress of the painting of this model.
   
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
Just the preliminary stages of blocking in the color scheme. It actually looks brighter than it really is.
Due to the flash. It's going to take a couple more coats to really set the color without the black subduing it too much.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
Well, with thins coming together I decided to experiment a little bit.
Leave it to me to push my luck and ruin a good thing.
Above left - shows the red/black/white color scheme. While the black looks really good, I wnated to give it sort of a blue-ish hue.
Above right - shows the results of drybrushing on some dark midnight blue that I had. (might be easier to see in the lower right pic.)
The problem. It's a little too much blue/purple and not enough black.
I really like he sharpness of the black on the kit, but I want something that will also allow me to go darker in the texture.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
This side still has the straight black on the leg and part of the side. And the midnight blue on the arm, the neck, and the jaw.
I tried to go over it with a black-tinted gel. To blacken it up more and give it something darker in the texture.
I don't think it worked. And the thickness of the gel seems to have filled in some of the texture as well.
So I will be washing that off.

I am working on another area but need to let it dry and see what the results are.
The one foot I just hit with a black wash to see how that goes.

allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
More progress. I got all the dark areas done with the midnight blue, which I decided I did like after looking at it for a while. Then I added some purple to the frills down the back.
Then I added some striping to the body.
Next will be starting to paint the mouth and claws.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
Basecoated the mouth and claws white in preparation to start work on those.
This caused a little setback though, as I discovered there is still a bit of flash on the teeth that needs taking care of.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
A little dremel work and a lot of file work around the slobber, the teeth and the claws.
Then another touch of white. Now I am ready to start painting the mouth.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
Some darkening of the tips of the claws with a little purple.
And a little work inside the mouth with some orange-ish brown.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
Well. With progress on the kit moving right alongm I figured I had better get busy on the base.
Got the 2 halves glued together and just started the putty work on the joint.
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
After the putty work, I primed the base black.
Then basecoated it with a dark brown.
Then it was on to drybrushing it with a coouple lighter shades of brown.
allosaurus build up allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
Then I blocked in some areas I wanted to paint with white, and some drybrushed white watercolors. Drybrushed some green.
And a little yellow watercolor in the lava area.
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
allosaurus build up
After sealing the kit, then I went over the yellow and white lave areas with some red. Letting some of the yellow and white show through..
allosaurus build up I was trying to go for some cooling lava on the one end of the base. With most of it hardened, with some hot edges still showing through.
I kind of got what I was looking for.
Though it wasn't executed nearly as well as what I pictured in my mind.
Guess I will have to do better on my next attempt.

Keep an eye out for the finished kit pics in the near future.