|Go BACK to the map page|
|Finished in 2007|
this baby is finally done!
|Below I will show the WIP on this kit.|
|First I held the pieces together and made some alignment marks on them||Then I connected those marks to give me a location to drill for the pins|
|Definitely need 2 pins for the tail, as it will be supporting the weight of the model at this joint.||I test fit the pieces together with the pins to make sure the pins are the right length. And to make sure everything still lines up ok.|
|I epoxied the pins into the body first. After that set up, then I did the head. Put epoxy in the pin holes, then covered the joint, and held it together until it set.||Then the same with the tail.|
|Time to break out
the Magic Sculp.
Which is what I use on the larger gaps. I have found though that it doesn't work well for those tighter ones. It's too hard to mush into the gap and try to get level with the rest of the surface. Found that out the hard way when I had to grind most of it down and detail it.
I've found the good old trusty Testor's tube putty works just fine for those thin shallow joints.
|Here it is with the 2 seams done, and the first leg added.||I've done the initial putty work on that seem and added the second leg. Will hopefully get pics of that soon.|
|Well, didn't get a
pic with the other leg on it.
But now I have both legs and both arms on now. The legs seams are almost perfect with just a bit of fine tuning to do to the new scale-work. Just added the arms and sent it downstairs for a bit of primer.
Will start work on the seems tomorrow.
some paint on this baby!
Got the base coat on. When I did that, I noticed I had a small void to fill in the foot, but that didn't take long.
Ready to start airbrushing it now.
|Suffered a small setback.
I could have sworn I washed the base before I primered it. Obviosly either I didn't, or I didn't do a good enough job.
Went to pick it up to add another layer of color and noticed a small spot had come off. I've been through this before, so I new the best approach would be to scrub it down and see how much came off. Quite a bit obviously. It is now soaking in some CSC to remove the rest of the paint, and any residue on it. Will be starting all over on it again soon.
Another bummer. Snapped the tip of the tail off the lizard while scrubbing also. Luckily it didn't wash down the drain and I have it to re-attach later.
|Another goof. This
one I will use to work for me though.
My color mix came out much more red than what I wanted. It looked brown in the bottle, and when I first airbrushed it, but when it dried, it was RED.
After washing the base, I washed most of the bad paint job off of this. Except the areas I want to be darker.
When I go over it with the next attempt at brown, I hope to put it on light enough that these areas that are now red will show through as subtle highlight or shadows.
|Yet another setback :-(
This time was a loosing battle with gravity. Model took a tumble off the desk and the tail broke. In the process of seeing if the pins would still line up, I managed to snap off the arms and one of the legs.
that, I set it aside, and didn't get back to it until
tonight. Got the tail back on. Amount of seam work to
redo is still to be determined.
|Well, I ran into another
Somewhere along the way, I managed to break one of the fingers off.
Now I need to resculpt it.
Needless to say, it didn't make it to WF in 2006, here's hoping for 2007.
|Finger is fixed, and now I am
back to work on this.
Hoping to make it to WF 07/
|First thing I did was tone
down the paint that was alredy on the kit.
I did this by misting it with white to wash things out. Then I gave it a thin coat of a lighter / brighter brown.
I really liked the tone, and how it came out.
Then I started detailing it. Using some brown stripes to break up the body a little.
Still working on that.
Will post more pics as I get farther along.
|Ok, the next step was the
really tedious one.
After I got all the stipes put in where I wanted them, I had to go back and detail them. I had to fill in the partially painted scales. So that way the that got some paint for a stripe got completely collred with the stripe color. Lots of fun on something this scale.
Took about 4 hours with a magnifying glass.
And now that I took pictures of them all, I see more I need to do.
|Ok, back to work.
I really liked the color, but the stripes stood out way too much. Also, I don't think the kit had enough 'pop'.
It was just a little too washed out and didn't catch the eye. It looked like it had been bleached in the sun.
So I went in with some gel and some burnt sienna.
Which while being darker than the terra cotta that I used earlier, it looks brighter.
(just because a color is a shade or two lighter, doesn't necissarily mean it is brighter).
Notice the great thing about a gel.
It will color a kit, but still let all the stuff underneath show right through.
|Now that I have the kit
completely done with the burnt umber, it looks to dark,
and too orangish.
When I first started doing it, it looked great, but I think that was because the contrast to the old color. Now it seems like a little too much.
Tomorrow, I will go over it with a very lightly dampened rag. See if I can take just a little off and let a little more of the under color show.
If that doesn't work, I have a few more options. But that is the easiest way to try to get what I am after.
I am in the home stretch now.
Dino is done, base is about done. Just need to mount the critter now.
mounting actually went pretty smoothly.
I drilled holed in each foot/leg, and one in the tail.
Then I put some pins in with a touch of paint on the ends to mark the base. Drilled the holes in the base.
Then I tapped the holes with the drywall screws I was using. Making sure they fit, and would go in far enough.
Put some epoxy glue in the holes and the bottoms of the feet and tail, then screwed it down.