My Prehistoric Scenes
Built-up Models

Spiked Dinosaur
Go BACK to the map page
Finished in 2000
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
   
To do a serious job on these can be a nightmare. A lot of seams to fill, plus you have to be careful with the detail on the parts. This was one of my first serious model attempts. My first time using putty also.
Of course I put it on too thick, then had to do a lot of sanding to take it back off again. In the process, I took off a lot of the detail. I added most of it back in by using a heated paper clip. I would hold an unbent paper clip over the flame of a candle to heat it.Then I used it to melt little divots and creases into the plastic.
The 2 part base for this is a real pain. When assembled, there is a large gap to fill. Then trying to blend the filled gap with the rest of the textured base takes some time to male it look natural.
This Spiked Dino was also my first attempt at airbrushing. It came out pretty good, but I am pretty sure that I will one day re-do the paint job. I am really happy with the paint job on the base though. I used the texturing to my advantage. I sprayed different colors from different directions so that as you  look at it from different angles you get that sandlike look of having many colored grains.
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image