My Prehistoric Scenes
Built-up Models

Sabertooth Tiger
Go BACK to the map page
Finished 2003
Updated 5/28/11 -see bottom of page for repaint of the base
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image click for larger image
This model turned out to be more fun than I though it would be. I thought painting the fur would be a real pain. But it actually went rather smoothly.

The building was pretty straightforward. Since I enjoy the building, re-carving the the fur along the seams wasn't that bad. The worst seam on the whole kit was the tongue. Trying to get the putty in place inside that small mouth was tricky. Took a lot of patients.

I got a nice blend of shades in the fur. Starting with a white base coat. Then moving on to a cream colored coat on top of that. Then I started blending different shades of tan and brown, starting lighter and working to darker. That way it looks like the fur is lighter underneath. I used a little drybrushing for the last couple of coats to just darken the high points.
This was my first attempt at using acrylics. They seem to work pretty good for washes. I didn't like the results of using them for actual base coats. Didn't want to cover very well. The big plus with using them for washes was the quick drying time between coats. Really sped the process up.

The tree on the base got the most detail and attention of al the base parts. The parting line was terrible. The gaps between the branches were filled in solid. I had to remove all that flash, and clean up the seam around the whole leaf section. After that I had to add more of the detail back in. It wouldn't look right with a smooth section in the leaves. The leaves themselves are 4 different colors splotched and drybrushed on in no particular order of patern.
The trunk and branches of the tree were perfectly smooth. So after I painted it with a dark brown, I went over it in a lighter brown. I used the paperclip to apply the paint and drag it in the direction I wanted to give it a textured look. Turned out rather well if I do say so myself.

click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image I was never really happy with the way the base turned out.
So I went back and repainted it.
Painted the rock gray.
Then gave the main part of the base a medium brown.
Then went over it with a mossy green color.
All that was with spray cans.
Then I went in with a brush and hit the rocks with a couple
diffeent grays. And a little charcoal to accent them.
Painted the fern leaf.
And gave the bones a coat of ivory and a little brown
weathering.
I think it looks a lot better.