My Prehistoric Scenes
Built-up Models

Three Horned Dinosaur
Go BACK to the map page
Finished in 2001
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image
This was my second kit after getting back into the hobby.
I did a little better on the putty than I did on the Spiked Dino.
The paint scheme was in the spirit of the box art, which was the Revell reissue. I liked the striped color patterns. Used the airbrush a little bit on this one too. Mostly for the basecoat, and the coloring on the hornes.
The base on the 3 horned is one of my first attempts at using clear washes. It worked great.
What I did is mix a small amount of color (in this case, brown) with some varnish to get a clear brown color. Then I thinned it a little and applied it to the base which had already been painted green. The thinned clear brown, settled in the little grooves of the base. When dry it looked like grass (the raised portions of the green base) growing in dirt. I might have been able to do the job with just a brown wash, but the varnish seems to help the pigment settle into the cracks and isn't as obvious on the raised prtions.
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image click for larger image
click for larger image